This is where I get to say anything I feel like saying and you get to agree with me.
We will also share stories and chocolate if you have any.
Naps are also encouraged, if shopping is out of the question.

Saturday, May 22, 2010


This is SO not my kitchen.
But it should be. I love this cottage kitchen style .. Mine is too "elegant" .. I thought it would be a nice change from the all white with family in mind when decorating. Now it is just the 2 of us and I thought black granite and cherry cabinets and stainless steel were elegant and grown up .. 
But they lack warmth and don't appeal to me anymore.
This  is my kitchen .
Of course there are things on the walls and more baskets and the Eiffel Tower on top of the cupboards but it just doesn't have that feeling of coziness that the kitchen above has.
So I am thinking along the lines of How to Make the Kitchen Cozy .. 
Cottage style ?
French country?
Move ?




********
In response to Tricia's comment on color / light / cabinets..


The walls show up white in the photo but they are pale yellow. 
The tile by the stove is white though.
There is only one large window but at the back of the room on the corridor, so I can't use darker/stronger colors, it darkens the room too much.I had thought of going with a coral color .. or mustard yellow. The cupboards were all made by a carpenter and are wood, so I am sorta stuck with them. We are considering colorful antique (Art Nouveau) tiles on the wall facing the fridge.. and more colorful things on the walls ( big colorful things ) and new chairs at the counter, with provencal fabric or toile cushions.
I saw an antique Circus poster and thought that would look great on the wall to the left .. We dropped the ceilings but they are still over 12' high .. I also saw a giant clock .. but worried that I might find myself watching the clock obsessively ..

2 comments:

Tricia Patricco said...

A color other than white on the walls would definitely warm things up. You know my cabinets are the same but somehow your finish looks slightly darker, and we are doing green granite counters (verde butterfly) with a coarser grain pattern. I also have red walls and ginger maple floors in my kitchen.

Color and accessories are your best bet. However, with IKEA you could easily just change the cabinet doors to something else. Could be done in 1 afternoon. :)

Notes From ABroad said...

I don't think we have IKEA down here ... do we? lol
I did consider the option of replacing the cupboards but it would mean a total kitchen overhaul... not worth the expense.
I like your kitchen colors .. but you have the added luxury of windows and lots of natural light.