This is where I get to say anything I feel like saying and you get to agree with me.
We will also share stories and chocolate if you have any.
Naps are also encouraged, if shopping is out of the question.

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Life in the Country .. what to wear ??

With all the things that happened to my life this past year, I have had a very lax way of thinking about what to wear and how I look.
Of course, I still wash my hair and wear makeup and perfume and dress nicely ( better than the average around here, due to the lack of country clothes and overabundance of city clothes) ..
I do wear skinny jeans and Chanel quilted work boots ... funky but nice.

But I don't and as my husband had told me once, I will never blend in.
Funnily, I blended in pretty well in Buenos Aires. As long as I did not speak.
I had people coming up to me all the time, in Spanish or English, asking me for directions.
I was so flattered, half the time I wanted to walk them to their destination, I was so happy to be taken for a Porteño ..

Now I look like a Weekender. . . or a foreigner ... someone who obviously did not grow up here..
Apparently someone who still does not know her way around and has no idea what to wear .
My dressed down is generally the dressed up for this area.

I don't see people in the street like you do in the city, so I have no idea what to wear some days.
The lady next door goes out in a blizzard with a sweater on so I can't go by her.
All the men I see around here are hearty and wear things like lumberjacks wear or outdoor workers.

All this leads to the fact that I have to 1- move somewhere that I will blend in  2- buy some new country clothes..
Personally I like option number 1 but I think 2 might be the one I will have to take.
Although. I am keeping my mind open .. if there was the right offer, the right place to go to .. I am willing.

So I look at online websites where people in the street are featured or magazines that have people in the countryside ... what are they wearing ?

It is like having homework but no one will grade it.
Got to get back to studying.

Don't feel sorry for me though, this is the kind of study that I excel at . And I do want to blend in .. sort of.

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Reminds me of that movies from the 80s or early 90s - seems like 80s, where Diane Keaton inherits a baby, leaves her big NYC job and moves to Vermont or somewhere in the heart of New England... I bet if you re-watch that movie, you will get some good laughs and also "relate" :) xx

Mary said...

I believe you must always look amazing my dear - and being a wee bit overdressed rather than 'country bumpkin' is the way I'd go too. When one has always loved fashion, putting nice outfits together, accessorizing with quality items, it's really hard to let go. Closest I came to not bothering so much how I looked was on the Antarctic cruise - that meant lots of layers, heavy moisturizer and lip treatment and rubber boots. When I came home I tried to live like that here on chilly days - didn't work at all!

Love and hugs - hang in these and just enjoy being the best dressed lady around. . . . and don't feel guilty!

Mary x

Notes From ABroad said...

Sabrina ! Exactly !!
Did she stay or did she go back to the city ?
Or did she all in love and stay ... :(

Mary, thank you darling.
Definitely overdressed.
I looked great today- Minette has the best dressed mama .. the vet appreciated it anyway.